Friday, October 21, 2011

G.I. Joe; Rise of the Cobra (2010)

Directed by Stephen Sommers

So I grew up with brothers playing G.I. Joe's. In fact I can say I played G.I. Joe's and enjoyed it.

This movie is not exactly like the old stories. Its a new take on the boy's version of barbies.

It starts with flashing back in time to some old era. We see a man, a traitor, being tortured (This movie gets a little gory).
Then is comes back to present day and to a presentation of a new weapon. Nanomites. Little robots that have multiple, evil, purposes.
McCullen (Christopher Eccleston)  is a clever arms dealer. He sells weapons to both the Allies and the Enemies.

When his Nanomites are being transferred by the army, by the one and only Duke(Channing Tatum) and Ripcord (Marlon Wayans), The team is attacked be a mysterious band of masked invincible men and one woman who happens to know Duke, in fact they were almost married. During the attack Duke looses many of his friends and it seems as if they will fail. But in the middle of the attack, a band of extremely-well-equipped soldiers arrived and they were able to help Duke keep the Nanomites. The soldiers that helped are called G.I. Joe's. Refusing to let go of the Nanomites, Duke and Ripcord head with Joes to the Joes Headquarters.
When there the General explains to Duke and Ripcord what the G. I. Joes are. Apparently Duke a couple of years ago was invited to join the Joes, but he had refused at the time. In order not to get kick out Duke reveals that he knew the woman who attacked them.

This movie was very entertaining. I loved the twist on a story I have grown up knowing. One of my favorite parts when you first meet the Joes. It was kind of surreal to see a good, live-action movie with my favorite characters from the stories. All the actors suited their characters very well. Of course you learn who Cobra could have been (no one truly knows who cobra is in the old stories). And I must say that I enjoyed the new view of the menacing villian. Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow (perhaps the most popular characters) are two of the leads in this film. And you get to learn a little bit of the back story of the two adopted brothers.
If you enjoy action films you will enjoy this movie. Be warned though, that there is some very gory scenes. This in not a childrens film. There are kisses, and in one scene you see a lady in a sports bra and workout pants working out. Other than that the film is pretty decent, but the are some frightening images.
I loved this movie.

Review by Sweetie Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment